Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 1: Nap 2

Well, I didn't oversleep. I woke up at 1:30 well enough energized to easily stay up until my next nap (5 AM), so no problems yet. But I am only coming up on my 3rd nap so the sleep deprivation is only just getting started. In terms of disciplining myself, it has been really easy so far since I only have to look 4 hours ahead to my next nap. But I definitely sense myself getting tireder.

When I woke up I was probably a 5 in terms of energy, right now I am about a -2 as I am about to take my 5 AM nap. All I really did was mindlessly play video games and sight-read some music on the piano to pass the time. I am starting to think of goals I want to achieve to pass the time this week. I am probably going to learn a ton of Scott Joplin tunes on the piano, because I know when the sleep deprivation hits in, video games will not be enough.

For how fast my metabolism is, I definitely need to eat each 4 hour period of time. From what I have read, it is much better to eat upon waking up, rather than before going to sleep so your body works on getting into REM sleep, as opposed to just digesting food.

Also, I am having absolutely no Caffeine, Nicotine, or Alcohol during this experiment. I am not smoking weed unless I need to use it as a last ditch effort to avoid boredom. From what I have read, smoking weed does affect how a person reaches REM sleep, so although I love the herb, I will try and abstain from it to try and get the best results for this "experiment". However, I will test smoking weed with the Uberman sleep schedule once/if I finally start hitting REM sleep: which is the phase of sleep the body requires to be energized in a 20 minute nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment